Friday, July 26, 2013

Rock & Roll Capital of the World (or so they say)


My memories of "The Buckeye State" include driving through to Chicago on I-80, eating high-end meals at rest area Burger Kings and my dad receiving speeding tickets. So I was pleasantly surprised when  I actually got to see what Cleveland is all about. 

Our eccentric airbnb host gave us a brief history of the city and its socioeconomic struggles. After that informative, yet somewhat disheartening conversation concerning Cleveland and great American cities in general, what better to lighten the mood than a jazz trio and some micro-brews!


After getting the most luxurious sleep in a "rustic-belt chic" 1917 home with a bed made of marshmallows, we were off to what Cleveland is known for--The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And it's as if the stars aligned because this year's list of inductees included the best band of all time HEART! We spent almost 6 hours in there, enjoying every minute. My favorite part? The original tour outfits of the Rock and Roll Queen herself Stevie Nicks. Ahhhhhhhh!


Aside from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland is also known for, yes a type of hot dog yet again, the Polish Boy. However, at a joint called Hot Sauce Williams you can get a Polish girl which includes: hot dog bun, kielbasa, coleslaw, french fries, BBQ sauce and slow roasted pork shoulder. It can only be de described as a foodgasm. So we had to try a few of course. 


And just when I thought I was never going to eat again, I remembered the epic grilled cheese place I heard about in Cleveland, Melt. It's absolutely insane. You can literally get anything on your grilled cheese, thus naturally I opted for the pierogi! 


We also got to camp on the beaches of Lake Erie as a part of the "dip a toe in each of The Great Lakes" plan. Ek just a toe might have been a questionable decision in Lake Erie considering the dead fish on shore. 


Motor City, we're coming for ya! 

No comments:

Post a Comment